Sunday 15 April 2012

Green Living Show

My goodies from the show: vegan ceasar dressing from Organic Garage, various Live Clean products, spelt milk, LPK buns, organic craisins, mini Luna bars...

***
Today I went to the Green Living Show at the Direct Energy Centre and, as always, the best part of the show is discovering and sampling new products.

My favourite discovery was a new line of non-dairy milks imported from Italy; I sampled the hazelnut rice, buckwheat, kamut and spelt . The brand is BIO and I recommend the spelt and buckwheat in particular. Products are not yet carried in Ontario, but can be ordered through the website. (http://www.thebridgesrl.com/prodotti/bevande/farro/bio-farro-drink-natural/?lang=en)

LPK had awesome samples of pesto on gluten-free vegans buns, and we bought three packs of the buns to take home. Now if only I could re-create that pesto...

I also sampled Earth Balance's new coconut-flavoured spread and it was delicious. It will be fantastic in baked goods.

Unfortunately, the show ended on a low note. Like, last year, there were few vegetarian options in the food section. As well, food must be purchased by first buying tickets, which seems particularly wasteful in the context of the green living show. But here is my vent...

We scouted out options and realized there was only one vegetarian offering - at Keriwa Cafe - so we bought the right amount of tickets and lined up at that station. Well, the people working there took the sign down while we were in line and increased the price from 1 to 2 tickets, so we now did not have enough tickets for all of us to buy lunch. We stayed in line because it was our only option, but while my order was being prepared we noticed the staff eating as they garnished (with hands), and then one licked her fingers! So I left my untouched bowl (no refund or apology offered, of course!) and headed to LPK's to fill up on vegan sweet potato donuts (mmm......) It's disappointing to end on a low note, but as you can see from the photo I did not go home empty handed!


No comments:

Post a Comment